Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A national return to frugality?

Before I forget...sorry for so many typos in the last few posts. I'll try to do better. You can generally say that the more tired I am, the more typos there are:)!

Have you noticed all the articles, books and TV spots about thrifty living and "simplifying" lately?  I sure have! It seems to be very in vogue as of late. Of course, "it's the ecomony, stupid, " but there's this huge part of me that doesn't want it to end. I can say with a fair amount of certainty that when the economy finally turns around (and it likely will--though no one but God knows when), those who are chosing thrift just to get by right now will go right back to their spendthrift ways. But those of us who are true tightwads will continue to shop at Goodwill and drink powdered milk. Why? Because it's the smart thing to do. Seriously. To be honest, I haven't noticed the effects of the recession too much. Part of that is having fairly recession proof jobs (nurse/educator), but even if we lost our jobs, I'm pretty certain we could stay in our Maine cabin and make a go of it. That's because thrifty living has everything to do with attitude and not the amount on your paycheck. Some of the poorest people I know are the least frugal; they spend their money on cigarettes, junk food, cable TV and other vices. On the other hand, I know some wealthy families who are always looking for smart ways to spend and save. Obviously, there are exceptions to both sides, but you know what I'm getting at. Frugality is a mentality that says less is more. It's knowing that the things that really matter in life aren't things at all. My husband and I have been truly blessed over the years. We have lacked for nothing. But I maintain (a good Maine word) that we have been able to afford some nicer things--and give a lot away--because we don't have many items that most people call necessity--new cars/clothes, cable TV, brand name food....just to name a few. I've had my share of scoffers over the years. "Oh, lighten up," they say, "spend the money...go out to eat more...live!" But I love my life the way it is.

One nurse that I worked with a few years back (who has since retired) told me that when she started working, she and her husband made a commitment to always live on that first year salary and save the rest. So every year when she got a raise, they would bank it. They raised a family and big garden, lived simply and retired fairly early. And she was one of the most generous people I know, quietly helping those in need and always bringing in homemade goodies to share. That's what I'm talking about!!

We all have tales of grandparents who we admire for their tenacity in tough times...let's be like that! Share your frugal stories...bless someone else...

4 comments:

  1. A date with my husband yesterday consisted of filling the Jeep gas tank with $28 in fuel, and traveling with the canoe to a nearby pond. He fished, I enjoyed the sunshine - and we both enjoyed the conversation and time together. Dinner? We packed pb&jelly and apples, with ice water to boot... No budget disasters and it was a Great Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to think I have taught my kids to be wise with their money, My middle son, Nate, loves the dollar store..he says mom i go in with 50 dollars and come out with 50 items of groceries..how can you beat that..lol...just the little things that make us happy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. THAT HOW I FEEL ABOUT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ... YOU ALL AVERY VERY SPECIAL PEOPLE YOU KNOW HOW TO THINK BETTER AND YOU HAPPY IN YOUR OWN WAY ... AND YOU ALWAYS THINK ABOUT EVERY ONE AROUND YOU TOO ... AND MOST OF ALL YOU KNOW JESUS IN CONTROR OF THE WHOLE THING ... YOUR KIDS THEY ARE SO SO SPECIAL WE LOVE THEM SO SO MUCH TOO ...IM SO BLESS TO HAVE A FRIEND LIKE YOU ALL ...YOU TAUGHT ME ALOT ...YOU ARE A VERY AMAZING WOMEN I LOVE YOU .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy...sounds like the perfact date. Lorna...Nate's a smart man! I personally love the Dollar Tree myself. ToKhahn, I love you guys, too. You could write your own book about living on less and put me to shame! I'm soooo ready for some Vietnamese soup when I get back:)

    ReplyDelete