Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Summer time and the living is easy...
Here are some summer money-saving tips:
1. (Has anyone tried this? I haven't...and I may end up playing the fool...) Fill a ziplock bag with water and 5 or 6 pennies and hang it in a problem insect area. In my case it was a particular window in my home. It had a slight passage way for insects. Every since I have done that, it has kept flies and wasps away. Some say that wasps and flies mistake the bag for some other insect nest and are threatened. (thanks, Deb L.)
2. Travelling invariably = eating out, no matter how much we plan. Always check http://www.restaurant.com/ for the zip in the area where you are going. If you have small kids, just feed them off your plate. Never order anything to drink except water. When we go to any fast food place, our kids get two items off the $ menu. If they want more than that, they have to pay. (They usually don't...and they always get water because any other drink counts as a choice:)
3. Gradually increase your AC settings by one degree every few days. We already set ours on 81. And we are quite comfy. I freeze in most public places and at our church. This is a huge cost saver.
4. Instead of delicate-fabric detergent (think Woolite) for your bathing suits and other fragile items, use a pea-size amount of shampoo in a sink of cold water. (The shampoo should be free if you are using my other strategies!!!)
5. Get books on tape/cd from the library for long road trips. We so prefer this over videos.
6. Make sure to take advantage of any free summer concerts and other entertainment offered in your area. Here in High Point, we are enjoying Party on the Plank on Thursday evenings. Go High Point!!
7. Buy now for winter...all those clothes are on deep discounts. If you NEED summer clothes, go to a thrift shop.
8. Instead of going out to eat with friends, invite someone over and set up the grill. You can have some great steaks for far less than restaurant prices!
9. If you have a gamer hound at your house, consider http://www.gamefly.com/, where you can rent games for far less than buying them.
10. Make sure to read by blog post about summer freebies for kids!