Wednesday, February 24, 2010

$44 freebie, cost of working

"A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest--and poverty will come on you like a bandit and scarcity like an armed man."

It's snowing. Again. We moved back to the South for a reason and this ain't it. I mean, it's 38 degrees...how is this even happening? Ugh.

Great deal but ya gotta be fast, this will be gone in minutes: 12 pm EST (11 am CST, 10 am MST, 9 am PST), the first 1,000 to sign up @ http://www.thepromotionaloffer.com/olayregenerist/  will get a free Olay Regenerist Starter Trio Set valued at $44.00. I'm going to try for it!

Also, LLBean.com is having a fantastic up to 75% off outer wear sale that reportedly ends TODAY. Use code 3018849 to get free shipping to boot.

Sending in my Oil of Olay rebate and another for some Ren-Ux Organic shampoo I happened to see at CVS yesterday with a "Try me free" hangtag around the neck. ALWAYS look for these when you shop. It's nice to find unexpected free stuff.

Stupid Tax: Maybe there were a half dozen eggs boiling on my stove last night to be used for egg salad. And maybe I was so into the Olympics that I forgot said eggs until I heard this strange popping sound coming from the kitchen, followed by a weird odor. Maybe the eggs were exploding all over the stove and the pot was ruined. Maybe I am a half-wit. Maybe.

Daily Buck: I picked up a like-new bright yellow #2 pencil lying in the ditch yesterday on my way home from work. I realize this isn't going to make a big difference in my budget, but it was satisfying and made me smile.

Yesterday I had to stop at the library to return one book-on-CD disk that had inadvertantly been left in the CD player. I had received the letter from the library stating that the charge would be $55.00 if it wasn't returned. Yikes! Anywho, when I was walking into the children's department, I passed one of the regular librarians as she was going out and smiled a greeting. This lady is there often, and I recognize her, but can't even tell you her name, nor did I think she knew me by name. She looked back over her shoulder at librarian #2 and said, "This is Patricia Cliff, she's here to return Artemis Foul disk #4. Make sure you take it off her record." I turned, jaw slightly agape, and managed to stammer, "Wow, impressive." She just smiled and walked on. I stood staring at the door before finally turning back around to see L2 sitting there with outstretched hand. I fished out the CD and handed it to her, still stunned. "How did she DO that?" I asked, wondering if she knew the ages of my kids and my SS# too. L2 laughed, "Oh, she just REALLY knows our patrons." I'll say. That she knew my name was impressive enough, but to know I had disk 4 still kinda whigs me out. It's not like our library is that small either. High Point is bigger than the biggest city in Maine. Obviously, I am still in awe.

My point? I think wonder-woman librarian REALLY likes her job. I always get the feeling that she enjoys helping me and my kids. "Familes choose a two-income lifestyle for a variety of very good reasons. In the lowest income groups, it is usually an economic necessity....usually [however] the purpose of the second income is to elevate the standard of living." Amy Dacyzyn

I'm not here to tell you that SAHM are better than working moms. I'd be slamming myself. I work part time as an RN. I am blessed to have a job that I like on a floor with co-workers who are phenomenol. But I would be lying if I said I love to work. There are many aspects of nursing that are incredibly rewarding...not the least of which is that I can work part time and make the same amount of money as a full time minimum wage earner. I also don't fret much about not being able to find work. Nursing is one field where experience really pays and, let's face it, we'll always have sick people. So let me just say it this way: I like my job, I don't like working. If the truth be told, I'm kinda lazy. I would rather find ways to cut back and eat ramen noodles for lunch again than pick up extra hours at the hospital. In fact, even as I was typing this,one of co-workers called and asked me if I wanted her to pick up my 4 hour Thursday shift. Census is down this week and she wanted the time. "Yes, Ma'am!" I said gleefully. "Are you sure?" She asked again, "I know we're all short this week." "NO, really, have fun." Will I regret this on pay day? Maybe. But right now it feels great, and I just saved $75.00 shopping the salvage good store yesterday,  so it's all good. This is my life. I've always been this way. The one thing that I really do enjoy is getting a good deal...even though I loath shopping in general.

I just want you to think for a minute about whether or not you love what you do and how much it costs you to work. A second income often puts you in a higher tax bracket. You buy nicer clothes, pay a day care, eat out more and generally spend all the extra you make. If you're like me, working stresses me out, leaves less time with family, and adds a new level of tension. If you both love your jobs, great. If not, think about ways to cut back instead of ways to make more.

Happy Shopping!

1 comment: