Thursday, September 9, 2010

It's the economy, stupid.

How many times have we heard that one stated and restated over the past several years? Lately it seems that news of the economy is everywhere you look. I must say though, that one of the most disturbing things I read recently was an article that said 41% of Americans plan to go back to their spendthrift ways as soon as they possibly can. That just made me really sad. I've often said that I think an economic depression would be a good thing for America. (I also think that all this stimulus debt [what an oxymoron]--started with Bush and carried on into this administration is a bad, bad thing. We need to collectively learn a lesson that we aren't learning, as evidenced by the aforementioned stat-but that's another post.) We are largley spoiled and used to getting what we want when we want it. That doesn't make for good personal character. We could use a little pain.

That being said, I know I am blessed. The recession hasn't affected me tremendously at this point...just in smaller peripheral areas. Then again, I believe with all my heart that the frugal things I have always done made this time a little easier. We cut back every day; the services/items that other folks are cutting out of their budgets, we have never used. You truly don't miss what you never had. The money that we could have been spending on these items we used instead for savings and paying down debt. I'm not bragging, really. What I am trying to say is that if we can't learn from the recession  (41% of us out there), then it is all for naught and we will probably be in another one before too very long.

Living within/below our means is the way to go. I can guarantee you that you will be far less stressed if you can learn the lesson sooner than later. John Wesley said back in the 18th (?) century: "Make all  you can, give all you can, save all you can."  And what is conspicuously missing? Spend all you can. I'm with Wesley. Less really is more.

How has the recession affected you? Have you lost a job or had hours cut? Have you started clipping coupons or stopped going out to eat? Are you part of the 41% that can't wait to spend again? If so, why is that? Let me hear from you on this one.

1 comment:

  1. I know that frugal living is what the topic this blog is about. Important disciplines for all to learn for sure. However, as Christ followers, I don't think "It's the economy" is the end all.

    You mentioned:
    "We cut back every day; the services/items that other folks are cutting out of their budgets, we have never used. You truly don't miss what you never had. The money that we could have been spending on these items we used instead for savings and paying down debt."
    As I was reading this, the first thought that came into my head is that I'd feel better about the statement if you had written "...that we could have been spending on these items we used instead to feed the hungry"(if in fact you are blessed and have an abundance in this recession, others are in need)...or "to support the spread of the gospel" (this recession has affected the support of many missions/missionaries).
    Not to say that I think you DON'T do these things with what you save from your frugal lifestyle. But because giving from result of your frugality wasn't the first thing you mentioned, it might seem to indicate the priority is to "save and pay down debt".
    Wesley's advice is wise. However I beg to suggest that the "save all you can" part isn't what our Lord Jesus taught.
    I think Matthew 12:13-34 ties in with this topic, as Christ's instruction against storing up wordly wealth.
    So I'd modify Wesley's advice to only "give all you can". Making all one can could also pose some priority problems, and saving all one can seems to be directly opposed to the teaching of Christ.
    Matthew 6:19-21
    "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
    So, it's not "the economy, stupid". It never has been...not in God's economy anyway.
    L.R.

    ReplyDelete