Sunday, September 12, 2010

Intentional

Intentional seems to be the operative word this week; it has shown up all around me, so I'm taking that as a sign.

Abby was filling out a scholarship application and had to write a 2-3 page paper critiquing a paragraph from the book Leading with a Limp by Dan Allender. The paragraph begins with: "A lazy person does little to nothing while a busy person does almost everything, but the similarity is that both refuse to be intentional. Busyness is the moral equivalent of laziness because is involves refusing to live with courage and intentionality."

Ouch. That was quite convicting! I had never really thought about the fact that my lazy days and my busy days are neither one very productive. The more I contemplated this fact, the more I realized that it was a very accurate fact indeed; that I feel just as unsuccessful at the end of a day spent being lazy as I do on a busy but unintentional, unplanned day. You see, I am very good at keeping busy, but being intentional? Not so much. There are times and certain areas in my life in which I am very intentional, but on the other hand, I can spend whole days flipping through magazines and clicking my way aimlessly around the internet. Let's just say that those are not very productive days. The Word is replete with examples of the importance of being industrious (which implies intentionality).

The one area in my life that I try the hardest to be intentional is in regard to my family. Not surprisingly, it is where I struggle the most. I believe that Satan will do all in his power to destroy our families because he knows they are the foundation of our civilization; therefore, that is where he will attack the hardest.  This week I am committing anew to intentionality with my husband and my children. Who's with me??

No comments:

Post a Comment