Sunday, April 18, 2010

Who's in you life? Why?

Lately I've been thinking about all the different people in my life, particularly in regard to who I would consider "mentors" and to whom I would be considered a "mentor." This thought came to me because I recently received an email from a lady who had been my camper the very first year I was a camp counsellor--1987. 24 years ago. EEE GAD! She was 10 and I was the ripe old age of 18. We have kept in touch off and on over the years. Currently she is having some struggles in her marriage and was wanting some advice. My first thought was to route her on to someone who knows something...I mean I'm only a "young married, " right??!!! Oh wait, I'll celebrate 18 years this summer, maybe I AM supposed to be able to give advice. What's that Biblical adage about the older women giving advice to the younger....but I don't know enough yet!!! And so the self-conversation went in my brain. I know when I was newly married, anyone who had 10 years was considered a pro in my eyes. So I emailed her back. I sent her a couple of books that had helped me. She thanked me profusely for always being there for her...and I truly feel unworthy of any praise, because I really don't know much. But thankfully, I do know The One who knows it all. Guess that's something!! So I just want to thank those of you who have been there for me over the years (you know who you are!). And thanks to those of you who read my blog. People walk into our lives for a reason. Always. Some stay longer than others, but with God there are no accidents. Take a little time to think about who is in your life. Take some time to encourage someone today...and also take some time to thank those who have encouraged you!!

2 comments:

  1. You know, someone recently sent me a message letting me know how I inspire her. Inspire!?! Who am I to inspire anyone? I barely know what I am doing. Or so I thought to myself. But the people who inspire me probably ask themselves those very same questions. We are probably the last people to recognize our own strengths and our own gifts. In a way, it is good; it keeps us humble. But in another way, it is bad; how many of us don't recognize our own self-worth?

    I'm glad that our paths have crossed again. I really relate to what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, "Vesu" :), so true! I'm glad we crossed paths again also. I was just looking at your "muscles" pic from the cabin last summer and it made me smile!!

    ReplyDelete