Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Free Cheese and Chick-fil-A, Conspicuous Consumption? All You Day 17

This morning I read an article in Time magazine by Bill Saporito in which he encouraged "the rich" (one had to assume he wasn't talking about himself, though I'm sure he's quite comfy, particularly as related to world salaries) to spend conspicuously. Consume, consume, consume so the rest of us can enjoy a little of your wealth--that was his basic message. Quit hoarding, quit saving, start hiring; but most of all, spend us out of this recession! By the time I was done reading, I was just a bit hot under the collar. Conspicuous consumption? Really, Bill?? Do you think that will solve the problem? I LOVE that people are saving more, spending less and learning to be happy with what they have. The rich are saving too much, says Bill? Well, perhaps that's why they are rich to start with. Do I think we should be greedy? No! But I disagree that the answer for America is to spend conspicuously. Keep saving...live BELOW your means, give generously as God directs...but spend just for the sake of spending. Oh, please.

That being said, here are a few deals for you:

Do you like New England Coffee?? I do! Their blueberry blend is my favorite, but I save it for a treat when I am in Maine. Right now they are offering a free iced-coffee tumbler for 4 UPC's from their products, no receipt required. Here's the form: http://www.newenglandcoffee.com/docs/TMI%202011_Form.pdf



How about some free Mini Babybel Cheese??? Print a "try me free" form here: http://www.thelaughingcow.com/files/2011/06/BEL18721_3_MBY_Online_TMRF.pdf


"Like" PF Changs on facebook, and tomorrow, July 6th, they are going to post a coupon for  free lettuce wraps. mmmm.

If you live by Chick-fil-A, don't forget that Friday is Cow Appreciation Day. Dress up head to toe like a cow and get a whole free meal...going on ALL day. If you wear a partial costume, you get a free entree. This will help with the All You challenge!! Friends of mine are "cowing" it all day and going to 3 different locations. Wow! Check out the details: http://www.cowappreciationday.com/

I will be updating daily on the All You Grocery Challenge, which runs June19- July16. The Challenge: spend only $25 per person per week or less ($150.00 for my crew) to feed your family, including eating out...but do so in a creative, healthy way. An * denotes our own garden food; (parentheses indicate healthy changes.) Winner gets $1000 and a write up in ALL YOU magazine! Please know that for grocery purchase totals, I round to the nearest dollar.



Day 17

Today I took my son to Walmart so he could pick up a few things, and I happened to walk by a display of Mountain Dew 4-pack bottles for $2.00, and a light bulb went off. When we drive to Maine, we go full-steam ahead. 21 hours of driving. We take turns and pull over if we get sleepy. But invariably, when we stop for gas, Mike buys an overpriced  Dew because he likes it cold. Not this year! I won't be adding that to my grocery total. I bought the 4 pack and will keep it in the mini-cooler. Total; $2.00

Breakfast: french toast, milk
Lunch: egg salad (with light mayo on wheat), watermelon, leftover soup, cupcakes from the neighbors, water
Dinner: Italian marinated chicken breast on the grill, potatoes on the grill, summer squash*, cukes*, angel food cake, milk

No comments:

Post a Comment