Thursday, June 30, 2011

Earle Proulx's tips--Make it Last Book Review, All You Day 12

My Northern friends (esp) will appreciate Earl Proulx's book Make it Last. Earl was a native New Englander. I say "was," though I cannot confirm if the man is dead or not. In typical New England fashion, he doesn't show up on google except as an author. Anywho...Earl was a regular writer for Yankee Magazine for years and is a master at frugal living, particularly when it comes to creative recycling and making things last. The man has tips for every possible subject. When I was little, my dad subscribed to Yankee, and even then, I would read Earl's articles--guess I've been a tightwad all along! So, it was with much excitement that I picked up a copy of Make it Last at a yard sale last week. Here are a few tips just to give you an idea:

1. Use oil from a walnut to conceal surface scratches on wood furniture. Crack the shell and rub a piece of the walnut meat in the scratch. Polish the area with a soft rag, and the scratch should be nearly invisible.
2. If you have a drawer that sticks, rub the sliders with a bar of soap.
3. To reshape a shrunken woolen sweater, boil it in one part vinegar and two parts water for 25 minutes, then  re-block the garment and do not remove it until it is dry.
4. To remove microwave odors, boil a cup of water with 2 teaspoons of lemon juice in it for 5 minutes, then wipe down.
5. Always use warm water for a vase of fresh cut flowers.

I will be updating daily on the All You Grocery Challenge, which runs June19- July16. The Challenge: spend only $25 per person per week or less ($150.00 for my crew) to feed your family, including eating out...but do so in a creative, healthy way. An * denotes our own garden food; (parentheses indicate healthy changes.) Winner gets $1000 and a write up in ALL YOU magazine! Please know that for grocery purchase totals, I round to the nearest dollar.


Day 12

Breakfast: (whole wheat) toast with peanut butter, fried eggs, milk
Lunch: pizza, green salad, potato salad, soda (all leftovers from the last two nights)
Dinner: chicken on the grill, green beans*, cukes* and tomatoes*, fruit salad (cantaloupe/strawberries), (brown) rice, (pumpkin* and carrot) cake leftovers, milk


I had to take Abby in for an early appointment this morning and since we were going by Bottom Dollar, I decided to stop. I correctly remembered that their meat is marked down in the AM and I was met with a sea of orange discount stickers. This is meat that expires soon, but if you use it the same day or freeze it, you should be good. Once again, I might shop here monthly, if that, but I was going by. I got about 3.75 pounds each of steak (for July 4th celebration) and boneless, skinless chicken breasts and a pound of ground pork for approximately $1.35 a pound...total out: $10.00.

Laundry day, then picking produce...and having a friend over for dinner tonight! Always nice to share the bounty.

No comments:

Post a Comment