Monday, June 27, 2011

BOGO frappes and free Tena sample; All You Day 9

Today Abby and I went to her prosthodontist; her partial was loose--so much so that it fell out on one of the rides at Universal. (Thankfully, we found it!) Come to find out, her original bone graft has resorbed to the point that her gum line has changed and she needs a new partial. The good news is...we really like Dr. Martinez and would recommend him to anyone (Kelcy, if you're reading this, make sure you tell him!!) and it won't cost nearly as much as we anticipated. We go back on Thursday and they will do the new molds. This evening I want to put in my second planting of  green beans and cucumbers; gotta love the south! Also might try to take a trip to the local "bent can store."

This isn't a real freebie...but it is a BOGO for Mickey D's smoothies or frappes (which I happen to think are very yummy) and since it doesn't expire until 7/31, I can wait til after the challenge is over to use it for a cheap date night:)!! http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/promotions/Smoothies.html



And here is a link for a free sample of children's Tena pads:
http://www.tena.us/children/product-pavilion/free-samples-for-children/

I will be updating daily on the All You Grocery Challenge, which runs June19- July16. The Challenge: spend only $25 per person per week or less ($150.00 for my crew) to feed your family, including eating out...but do so in a creative, healthy way. An * denotes our own garden food; (parentheses indicate healthy changes.) Winner gets $1000 and a write up in ALL YOU magazine! Please know that for grocery purchase totals, I round to the nearest dollar.



Day 9


Today I went to Harris Teeter and picked up a few items that were great deals after the super double coupons: two 5lb bags of sugar, pancake syrup, 1 big box of organic arugula,  family size bag of mixed baby salad greens, 2 # of heirloom tomatoes (these last 3 items were in the discount produce bin) and 2 boxes of Reynolds 50 ft aluminum foil. I saved $16.00...Total out: $8.00

Breakfast: french toast (whole wheat bread), coffee, milk, OJ
Lunch: tuna (with light olive oil mayo on whole wheat), green salad, granola bars, water
Dinner: white chili (made with ground turkey and great northern beans that I soaked overnight) corn muffins, milk, (sugar free) jello

I found a two pound bag of beans in my pantry and made that the basis of two meals this week: the chili tonight and made- from- scratch -New England -style -baked -beans- like- my- mama- used- to -make to have at the picnic for our friends tomorrow. Dried beans are one of the cheapest forms of low fat protien that you can possibly buy. I use pintos, black beans, kidney beans and white beans.

My son informed me that he wanted carrot cake with cream cheese frosting for his birthday. I think I have all I need to make it...that's next on the agenda, and since the baked beans are in the oven, it's time to take advantage of the heat and make a couple of cakes and muffins....in fact, I hear my duaghter mixing up a pumpkin cake as I write. Thanks Ab!

2 comments:

  1. What is the local bent can store?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tricia here: There is one in Thomasville called Holly Hill Salvage, located at 13 Boyles St, Thomasville, NC 27360. I only go there every few months to stock up. There is also one in Glenola right on Main Street (go straight down Main in HP). It's a few miles after Creekside Park in Archdale on the right. Prices are not THAT remarkable, but I do find good sales.

    ReplyDelete