Friday, June 24, 2011

$30 is $30, freebies! All You Challenge, Day 6

I read an interesting article some time ago about how we assign different values to money based on the cost of what we are purchasing. Consider this: You stop into your favorite shoe shop and find the sneakers you want on sale for $50.00. You're happy about that and are all ready to buy them when a lady walks up to you and says, "Did you know that Super Shoes two blocks down has those same exact shoes on sale for $20??? Dude! How awesome is that??? You happily walk the 2 blocks and save yourself 30 bucks. It seems like a fabulous amount of savings...over half off!!

Now consider this scenario: You are purchasing a new living room suite for $1000.00. You've been saving for quite some time now and are ready to buy. You make your way to Joe's Furniture with your thousand big ones in hand. Your buddy Tom walks in and tells you that the same set in on sale 2 blocks away for $970.00. You think about it for a second, but decide that 30 dollars really isn't worth the hassle of going to the other store. You fork over the 1000 bucks.

So what's the difference?? 30 dollars sure did seem like a bunch of money when you bought those shoes. I'd like to think that I would be the one to walk away from the furniture and buy elsewhere, but the reality is, I do this, as do we all, in different situations. I happen to get lax on vacation...spending more on one meal than I do all week at home. Apparently others do also: While Mike and I were eating in Epcot a few weeks back, a British couple with two kids sat down at the table next to us. The kids wanted to order milkshakes to drink and ice cream for dessert. The Dad looked skeptical. "Oh, whatever," said the mom, "we are on vacation after all!"

I'm not saying this is always a bad thing, but the article has caused me to rethink purchases and not be so quick to blame my lack of money on higher gas prices or increased electric bills. Maybe I should just pay closer attention to the cost of the items I do buy!!

Free sample of  Splenda: https://www.splenda.com/freesamples/coupon (love this stuff!)

Free sample of Glade trash bags (vocal point members...sign up for free):
http://www.vocalpoint.com/glad/address.aspx

I will be updating daily on the All You Grocery Challenge, which runs June19- July16. The Challenge: spend only $25 per person per week or less ($150.00 for my crew) to feed your family, including eating out...but do so in a creative, healthy way. An * denotes our own garden food; (parentheses indicate healthy changes.) Winner gets $1000 and a write up in ALL YOU magazine! Please know that for grocery purchase totals, i round to the nearest dollar.



Day 6:

Breakfast: cold cereal, milk, toast with peanut butter and honey, coffee
Lunch: grilled ham and cheese on (wheat), cukes*, orange slices, pretzels and (sugar free lemonade)
Dinner: Since it's just the boys and I, I decided to use 4 coupons I have for Chick-fil-A, two for free chicken sandwiches and two for free shakes, we shared and rounded out the meal with nectarines, pretzels and sugar free lemonade. Not the healthiest meal, but a nice Friday night treat.

And today was my shopping day. This week is proving to be a challenge because I will have to average in Mike and Abby's eating out on their trip and then tomorrow the boys--all 3 of them--are going on an overnight camp out for cross country. While we are sending food for breakfast and lunches, I need to send enough money for two meals out for each boy. I am only going to give them $10 each ($30 total) and they will have to use their own money if they want to spend more than that.

Today I went to Walgreens, and after regular coupons & WG coupons (for $37.00) and a $5 rebate I'll be getting back, I only spent $7.00. Here's what I got: three 12 oz canned hams, two 10 oz packages of Oscar Meyer ham, 3 Gatorade G 03 products, 2 cans mushrooms, 2 cans mandarin oranges, 10 boxes sugar free jello, 9 oz can almonds, bag of candy, 1 gallon drinking water(for the camp out).

At Dollar Tree I spent $6.00: 2 loaves of whole wheat bread, 2 quart jug of vinegar, 3 bags of sunflower seeds.

Aldi: 2 gallons milk, 2 bags of apples, 6 lbs of nectarines, 2 lbs of plums, 10lbs of potatoes, fresh garlic, 2 cans of frozen OJ concentrate, 1 cantaloupe, 1 lb strawberries, 1 lb macaroni, 1 lb of spaghetti, 2 cans of tuna, 3 "gatorade" type drinks-32oz, 1 box granola bars, 2 packages cheese/crackers Total: $38.00 

Walmart: baking soda, 10oz diet coke (free!) $1.00


Happy Weekend! Remember how good God is:)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment