Monday, August 2, 2010

What do you NEED? And thanks!

Today I took my mom shopping to pick up "necessities." This takes on a whole new meaning when you have lost EVERYTHING. Meds. Eyeglasses. Shoes. Bible. Clothes....and for my mom, postage stamps and writing paper. Next trip: bottom dentures. (She said she'd rather see than chew:). I know there are others of you out there who have experienced this...it's just so completely overwhelming.

We are so thankful for the generosity of neighbors, friends and family. This morning her neighbor, Charlie, dropped in and brought her a bouquet of gladiolas and dalias from his garden. He stayed for a couple of hours, drinking coffee and reminiscing (sp?).This is nothing new; he has been doing this for years. But it's just one example (of many) of how a small community pulls together after a tragedy. My mom is a figurative "gram" or "aunt nity" to the whole community. Everybody knows and loves her. She has had a steady stream of visitors, which has been very therapeutic. Thank you all so much for the meals and donations of various types. I feel like it's a after-the-wreck repeat...only much more emotional. Right now she is still staying with me at the cabin. Tomorrow she will be going to my sister's in Bangor, at least for the time being.

I do have to say that my immediate family has been fantastic. What a blessing to have 6 of us siblings who all get along amazingly well...I love guys more than you will ever know. Really.

Once again, I remind you, blogger friends, to take inventory of what is truly important in your life and then thank God for it every day. And tell the people you love exactly how much you love them. We're not promised another minute, so make the most of each one!

No comments:

Post a Comment