Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Way Life Should Be....(sign when you enter Maine)

Back in the greatest state...Maine! Here for the weekend, and my Mum found out before I arrived, but that's OK. She looks great; I'll let you know how the meeting goes tomorrow.

I was blessed to be greeted at the airport by not only my family but some old friends from college as well--Chris and Joy Gnanakan and their daughter Alethea. They took me to Denny's for brunch and we "had a nice visit, " as my mother would say. They are from Bangalore, India and have just relocated to Bangor, Maine. Don't you think that's a bit of a culture shock!! We were discussing not only the affluence of America in general, but also the relative deception of that affluence--it's all achieved by debt!!  The Gnanakan's were shocked to learn that they had to "have a credit history" in order to get a loan. They have never had a credit card or a monthly payment on anything. In short they had no debt and had some money saved, and ironically that makes it very difficult for them to get a loan. What a warped system.

Later at my sister's house, I was telling her and my brother about our cruise and the fact that I knew going into it that it was a "low-end" cruise line, but that we had a great time! This was perhaps in part because we didn't know any better, but I'd like to think that I work very hard at not being jaded. One morning on the ship Lee and Abby were sitting with 2 older ladies who were sisters and "cruise junkies." They started to complain about the food, the beds...yada yada...and I interrupted and explained that this was our first cruise, that we were really enjoying ourselves, and that were preferred to remain delusional. They were a bit taken aback, but then began to talk about what was right with the ship.

I think it's sad that it takes so much to satisfy us. We are a cynical, whiny culture and we enjoy our complaining more than our blessings. Let's be different. Go to Arby's and talk about how awesome it is...the workers will be schocked! Go the the dollar movie theatre and revel in the moment. Eat a tuna sandwich with your kids and just be thankful that you were born where you are! I'm going to try to quit complaining...at least until morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment