Monday, March 29, 2010

What's for breakfast?

Hellooooooo....anyone out there??? Haven't had many comments lately.....

So you know what I have for dinner (at least I report on most of them), but what does breakfast consist of at the Cliff household? Here's Tricia's weekday morning routine: The alarm goes off at 6 am. I am NOT a morning person. Mike hits the snooze 2X, which gives me 18 more minutes to face the reality that it is indeed time to get up. At 6:18 then, Mike nudges me in the ribs and I sit on the side of the bed and put in my eye drops. I had lasik surgery 10 years ago, and while it is by far the best money I have ever spent on myself, it causes me to have dry eyes...but just in the mornings. Then I head for the kitchen. (I haven't spoken yet.) I unload the dishwasher and set the table. I make sure the kids lunches are ready to take  (they are packed the night before, sometimes by me and sometimes by the kids) and then I make breakfast, which is a family-style sit down affair (by the time I'm sitting, I am awake enough to talk without being grumpy) except on Saturday, when everyone does their own thing 'cause Mama is yard-saling...and whichever child is with mom gets a fast food sausage biscuit as a treat!

Here is a sample of our menu...made almost exclusively from scratch: pancakes, waffles, granola, oatmeal, cream-of-wheat, grits, eggs/sausage, eggs/toast, muffins, biscuits or cold cereal...all served with a glass of milk and juice if they want it.  Cold cereal, while easy, is by far one of the most expensive breakfast foods you can serve.. unless bought with double-coupons on sale, of course. You can cook bacon and eggs for less. So while I dislike mornings, it is worth it to me to get up and actually cook breakfast. Oh, and days that I have to be at work at 7 am are the cold cereal mornings!

What a weekend! Tornados touched down in our little city last night, but thankfully we are all safe at our house.  Not massively extensive, but it is for the folks whose homes were destroyed!!

Saturday am Abby and I hit the yard-sales. Didn't find much this week...however, my daughter struck gold again. She had been wanting a "skirt hoop" that goes under a long dress to "poof" it out...found 3 of them for 50 cents each!!

Saturday night we had our school fund-raiser auction. We are having one at our church next month. These are great places to get good deals and support a worthy cause! We got two beautiful, brand new 5X8 wool rugs, one for $35 and one for $80. Also got a full size page in the year book for $80--normal price $250.00. (This if for my next year Sr....it is traditional at our school to buy a page or part of a page to honor your Sr...mama loves you, Abs:) And this on top of a great meal and fun times. Thanks to all the HPCA parents who work so hard to make this happen!!

And last night Norman Geisler delivered as expected. Great presentation!

Check out the dollar deals at Staples this week and stock up on office supplies:
Wescott 7′ Straight Handle Scissors, $1

Staples Comfort Stick Ballpoint Pens, $1
Staples Hype Highlighter, $1
Staples Black and White Composition Book, 100 sheets, $1
Staples 5.5 x 4.25, 200 sheets, $1
HammerMill, paper, 500 sheets, $1
HP Everyday, 4×6 photo paper, $1
Scotch Magic Invisible Tape, 3 pk, $1

Coldwater Creek is offering 60-70% off everything sitewide! This includes the outlet area of the site!! The sale is through 4/1 while supplies last.


60% off use code 60SALE  70% off use code WHH5226

Click here for a free Special K protien bar: http://www.specialk.com/register/offer/protein-shake 

Heading out to fill the bare fridge and pantry! Happy Shopping!

3 comments:

  1. used my home depot card today for a new door for the kids bathroom..got a door for 19 plus tax..and card was for 20..thanks ..and I think i have done all the free links you have posted..except those that don't apply to us Mainers...lol...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Trish, how are ya?? Thanks for the heads-up on Coldwater Creek, I will be checking that out next. Oh and tell Mike Mama would be happier a lot quicker with a big ol' mug of coffee first thing in the morning! ;-) Take care, love to you and the whole fam!

    Adele

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made your granola! I'm having to keep myself out of the kitchen b/c I keep eating it out of the crockpot. Robbie and Rob are also big fans. Keep the frugal recipes coming.

    ReplyDelete