Sunday, March 17, 2019

Parents, St. Patrick's Day, Saying Goodbye, and Springtime Walks

Both my parents would have celebrated their birthdays on March 15th. Mom would have been 97, dad 103. It's as hard for me to imagine them that old as it is for me to imagine what they were like when this photo was taken. (Thanks to my sister for posting this.) They were older when I was born, and I never knew their younger selves. As is the way when one gets older, thinking about our parents inevitably causes us to think about ourselves...what we learned from them and what we are passing on to the next generation. It's a worthy subject to ponder, I think. 


Robert and Juanita Moores, circa 1939, or thereabout. 


On Saturday, our adult Sunday School class had a farewell party for Aby and Calvin, a dear couple who are striking out on a grand adventure with their two daughters. They are originally from India, but have French and British ancestry and have lived in Australia and Hong Kong. Now they are moving to Canada...no jobs, just a dream and a brother there. They inspire me to think big, trust God, and explore this wonderful world....to be willing to try new things and remember that in spite of all the evil we see, there is still so much good and God has such a beautiful plan for us! God Speed on your journey, DeCosta family!





  Some things are the same at Hong Kong parties... (men love to grill..)



But you can usually count on noodles, sushi and/or rice and weird desserts like Durian Cheese Tarts.😜😜


Today is St. Patrick's Day. My husband and I went for a walk around our neighborhood. Hong Kong is an interesting mix of the old and the new, the mountains and the city. But always, there is beauty everywhere if we stop to look. 





Where we live....


I even found shamrocks!! 

But I didn't find Corned Beef Brisket, just cooked a little ham with my cabbage and taters and carrots. 


Happy St. Patrick's Day! 





No comments:

Post a Comment