Sunday, March 10, 2019

EasiYo, good friends, expensive cheese and free lunches...

February was such a great month. We were able to host 2 couples--friends from different eras of our lives. We love Hong Kong, having guests, showing off our city, and doing the "touristy" things we only do when people visit, so it's a win for everyone!


Ron and Mike have been friends since their college days. I don't know if the guys were especially keen on going for Tea at the Peninsula Hotel, but they made the best of it. 


One of my favorite things to do is take a ride on the Aqua Luna, the iconic red-sailed junk boat.  The Sheffields are friends from our NC days. Their son, Richard, is studying for a semester here, so it was a great time for them to visit...and take a little sail around the island. 


One of the many blessings of hosting is the great "hostess" (thank you) gifts one receives. This cheese platter was one such gift...and since cheese is so expensive here, we really enjoyed it.  Thanks, Gayle!


The Sheffields brought us a North Carolina favorite: Moravian Cookies, along with a some candy-- they didn't know that caramels are hard to find here, or Reese's, which didn't make it to the picture. How fun is that? The pumpkin and cheese were by request. Both couples treated us to many meals and other goodies. So thoughtful!


On the frugal front, I have been experimenting with a yogurt maker I bought second hand a couple of years ago. Along with cheese, yogurt is expensive here (all dairy, truth be told). We're talking $10 US for a large container of yogurt. EasiYo is a brand from New Zealand. Basically, the maker itself is a big thermos, with a plastic insert. You can buy dry cultured products from the company, and in many stores abroad, that are mixed with water, but I found these directions on You Tube on how to use the system using real milk and starter.  There were other videos on using powdered milk but I haven't tried this yet. I have used different types of milk, and as much as I would love to use UHT milk, which is cheaper here, I found that fresh milk works better. I cook one quart of milk over medium heat until just before boiling (bubbles start to form on edge) and then let it cool until I can touch it without burning my finger (easier than a thermometer...ha!) Mix the milk well with a small container of plain yogurt (or as little as 2 tablespoons) in the smaller EasiYo container.  You can also use 2 tablespoons of your homemade yogurt once you have it. Pour boiling water to the bottom of the plastic insert in the outside container, add the yogurt and put on the top. Leave at least 8 hours or overnight at room temperature. That's it! I found this makes a good creamy mix. The UHT milk was little too "slimy" for me, although it tasted fine.  Using real milk and homemade starter, a liter container costs about $2.70 US, which sure beats $10! 

Our school just finished a rigorous accreditation week. I think everyone is ready for the weekend. Parents here are very generous, and Friday, our kindergarten parents brought in a meal for us. So many delicious treats. See that meat at the bottom of the picture? Pork Jowl Thai Style. Wow! Flavor was fabulous. 



I love my place of employment, and am very thankful that I am able to be here, but that doesn't change the fact that I count down the days until I am here again: 


Maine, T-96. 
We are officially below 100.


No comments:

Post a Comment