Saturday, September 17, 2011

Follow me!

Thankful and Thrifty:

What a beautiful, cool fall day! The whole family ran in a 5K race to benefit the heart center at my hospital. My men folk did great! Me? Well, I was just glad to finish and very happy that the money was going to a good cause.

Sometimes friends want me to teach them how to save money, and I wish that they could just follow me around for a couple of weeks, because, well, that would just be easier. Here are a few examples from my money saving day:

I picked up 5 loaves of whole wheat bread at the Merita Bakery Outlet for 80 cents a loaf.

I stopped at the library to return and pick up books and movies. Why rent? Hundreds of options available.

I had to pick up a few items at Wal-Mart. I had coupons for free scalloped potatoes and BOGO La Creme coffee creamer, which made it cheaper than generic half and half. I was craving a beef stew and have not seen a good sale on beef lately. I didn't really find one either, but I did manage to snag a small package of steak with a mark down sticker on it. I went heavy on the celery, potatoes and carrots. Served with hot cornbread  no one seemed to notice the scant amount of meat. I also made "chocolate chip" cookies with a bag of crumbled chocolate candy that I bought at the salvage store for 75 cents. Chocolate chips are getting so expensive.

I spent a couple of hours with my cousin again, redressing the hands. I love to listen to stories about life during the great depression, which was our subject of choice today. I realized as I listened how few people there are left who actually lived through it. I am blessed to know some of them. They have so much to teach us.

The boys and I are getting ready to snuggle under fleece blankets (I have a rule that I won't use the furnace before October 1...my husband doesn't always obey the rule:) and watch a movie! Cheap family entertainment.

Thanks for the votes www.cheapsally.com/profile/tricia-cliff/!

No comments:

Post a Comment