Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Free Prescription sunglasses...and essentials continued...

"Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life." Proverbs 4: 7, 23

I love the book of Proverbs. Each verse is so rich. Sometimes (oft times) though, I find myself mindlessly reading and not really grasping what it is that is being stressed. I mean, honestly, am I willing to pay any price to get understanding? What does that mean? Even if taken figuratively, do I value wisdom above all else? And the heart truly is our wellspring of life, in every way. Yet every day, my heart is "prone to wander, prone to leave the One I love." You know the rest of the song...."take my heart, oh Lord and seal it, seal it for thy courts above." I can save money and find the deals, but if my heart is not His, if I am not seeking wisdom and understanding (through the Word and through those Godly saints He has sent before me), then it is all for naught. Let's seek Him, my friends. Even though I daily let Him down, Christ has NEVER let me down.

Great day so far. Had a wonderful time in the word, along with a hot cup-o-jo. There's a double batch of crock pot granola cooking that has the whole house smelling like cinnamon and nutmeg. Yesterday I pulled the last of the beet greens. They were delightfully delicious. We've had our first two hard frosts and now Mike is kicking himself for not pulling the tomatoes and impatiens before they turned to slime. The mailbox has been brimming with freebies lately: Crisco olive oil, a "big" P&G box with Pantene and more, Curel lotion, coupon for free Barilla....hope you are signing up friends.  I'm ending today's post with some great free stuff for ya.

Essentials. Yesterday I touched on groceries. Here's the next big one: Clothing and getting that clothing clean. Again, obviously we have to have to wear clothing, but how much we have and where we get it makes a huge impact on our budget. I am most admittedly NOT a fashionista, so this is not an area of struggle for me. I still have and wear some of the same clothes I had in high school. I don't think I have to state the obvious, but I will anyway: the best place to find reasonably priced clothing is at yard sales, followed closely by thrift stores, consignment shops and clearance racks. (My personal favorite is hand-me-downs, but of course, you can't always count on that.) If wearing the latest is important to you, then at least make sure you are taking advantage of sales and store coupons. As I like to tell my friends, it's not always that I can't afford to pay full price,  I just think I'm being a poor steward of my money when I do. Take a good hard look at your closet. How much do you actually wear? I do this at least once a year and have found that I tend to wear the same few outfits over and over. The less clothing I have, the easier my life is. I have many like-minded frugal friends and family members and we are forever passing clothes around, so consquently I give away several bags of clothes (all family members) a year. Less IS more.

Caring for clothes? I shy away from anything that says, "dry clean only, " and when I do take items to the cleaner, I use coupons. I don't do laundry unless I have full load. Typically I wash in cold water and hang at least a couple of loads a week on the clothes line. I use about half the amount of detergent called for and sometimes I reuse my dryer sheets, or I cut them in half. I don't wash clothes unless they need it. None of these things in and of themselves will make me rich, but collectively they add up. It's a mindset that says, "Sure, I can spend more, but why would I? How do you save money on clothes??

And finally, some deals for you:

Free 10,000 pair of prescription glasses promo on facebook! Click here for details:
http://www.facebook.com/CoastalContacts.com?v=app_10531514314

Get a pair of free flip flops with a lot code off a pack of Orbit "remix" gum: http://see.walmart.com/orbit/

Sign up here for a promotional booklet called "Organize in Style" that has coupons for Swiffer, Febreeze, Dawn, Cascade and others: https://www.thepromotionaloffer.com/hmsdrtv/?source=dawnhandren

As of this morning, Wholly Guacamole still had a $4.00 coupon out making their products free or almost free! I love their fresh salsa! The coupon is only good for 5 days after you print it:
http://coupons2.smartsource.com/smartsource/index.jsp?Link=JDRWCGAFPQ7GE

And if you live near a Jack in the Box check this out: Jack in the Box has done it again! On Tuesday, November 16 after 2:00 pm you can get two free tacos at Jack in the Box (no coupon required). No other purchase is necessary. It’s always a good idea to call your local Jack in the Box to confirm that they are participating in this promotion. Thanks Freebies-4-mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment