Monday, November 19, 2012

Stovetop Rice Pudding


(thanks to yummly for the photo)


I LOVE rice pudding, and until I moved to Hong Kong, I had only ever made the tradtional oven baked custard style. However, I eat rice much more frequently here and consequently have more leftover rice sitting around. There was actually a stove top rice pudding recipe taped to the inside of the kitchen cabinet door when I arrived. I had never heard of such a thing, but thought it was great and have since looked up similar recipes online. Here is the one I like the best, tweeked a bit:

1.5 cups cooked rice
2 cups milk (I like evaporated, but any kind works, even cream)
1/3 cup sugar OR brown sugar
2 beaten eggs
1/2 cup raisins OR golden raisins OR dried cranberries
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
1 tsp vanilla (optional)
pinch of nutmeg (optional)

Combine the rice, 1.5 cups of milk, and sugar. Cook over medium heat in a non-stick pan for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently, until thick and creamy. Stir in remaining milk & beaten eggs; cook for two more minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in butter, cinnamon and vanilla. Personally, I like nutmeg in my rice pudding, so I sprinkle this on top before serving and do not use cinnamon. To each his own on that one:)

Serve hot plain of with more cream, ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.

YUMMMMMM.

No comments:

Post a Comment