Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Homemade Mayonnaise, Take One

This was going to be one of those really inspiring posts about how easy it is to make something from scratch, and you would all thank me for it, marvel at my awesome little-suzy-homemaker skills, and wonder why you haven't been doing this all along!

It was going to be titled "Homemade Mayo in 15 minutes. Delish!"

Seriously. I had the title all picked out.

Mirielle Guliano (French Women Don't Get Fat) says that once you try mayo from scratch you will never go back.

That didn't inspire me.

What DID inspire me was spending HK $42 (US $6) for a LITTLE jar of Hellmans. Good Grief.

So, I googled a recipe and it assured me that this was all you needed:





I followed the directions:



Seemed kinda "liquidy." I thought it might gel up overnight.


It didn't--instead it separated and kinda curdled:


Major Fail. I am NOT little miss suzy homemaker.

But I will not be denied! Take two coming soon.

Any recipes/tips you care to share?

(And don't even tell me that you just got two big jars of Hellmans at a BOGO free sale with double coupons on both jars for a grand total of 99 cents. Too painful. Just too painful.)

2 comments:

  1. she's right that you'll never want store bought again after you've made your own! i started making my own for pure food reasons, not to save money... i'm not sure i do save money, haha. but it IS so so so much better.

    here's the recipe i use. and btw... if it isn't the right consistency when you are finished, it won't get there... something went wrong with the emulsifying. i have used the same recipe every time and sometimes it doesn't thicken... i'm certain it has to do with the step where you pour the oil in slowly... something about the emulsification.

    Makes about 3/4 cup
    2 egg yolks
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon mustard (or dried mustard powder)
    1/4 teaspoon sea salt
    3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

    In a food processor (i use my blender), blend the yolks, lemon juice, mustard and salt for a few seconds until combined. With the food processor running, gradually add oil in a slow steady stream until the mixture begins to thicken, at least 30 seconds. (this part is really important... if you put everything in at once, it won't work.)

    because your'e using raw eggs, you should make only enough that you'll use in 4-5 days...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this info!! I think my biggest mistake was not bringing everything to room temp first. Here's a link form my niece Lori: http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theclothesmakethegirl.com%2F2010%2F06%2F03%2Fthe-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience%2F&h=-AQGoC-Td

    ReplyDelete