I've also harvested green beans and greens for salad--spinach, chard, beets, arugula and cilantro. The garden has been slow this year, but we should be harvesting more soon.
A neighbor gave us 3 pounds of pork ribs from a pig he slaughtered. I cooked them in the slow cooker for 8 hours with a dry rub recipe I found online, and they were SO GOOD. Fall off the bone tender. We got 3 meals out of them. Thanks, neighbor!!!
I used a free $25 gift card from Mardens (for those not in the know, Mardens is the Maine version of Big Lots) to pick up some groceries. The gift card came as a result of participating in a promotion they are running. There are 14 stores statewide, and if you visit 7, they give you a $25 gift card and a Marden's travel mug. If you visit all 14, you get $100 and a goodie bag, I have until the end of 2026 to hit 5 more stores, but I don't know if that will happen or not. Driving to them just for the promo would not be worth the gas. Deals at Mardens aren't as good as they used to be, but I did pick up:
26 ounces of peanuts-$3.99
a loaf of whole wheat bread-$2.49
6 bagels: $2.49
![]() |
In our town, we have a local "swap shop" that an individual manages. Basically, you can pick up and drop off usable items for free. I stopped by on the way to a friends camp and picked up a half box of coffee filters, a vintage cookie jar, 2 books, a full pack of diapers (for when the grands visit) and a Longaberger magazine basket with a plastic liner. I also dropped off a couple of books. I conservatively estimate these items to be worth at least $50.
I also hung clothes on the line and walked at least 2 miles every day.
What did you do to save money this week?




No comments:
Post a Comment