Here are 5 frugal things I've done this week:
1. I downloaded 4 new free books on my kindle. One was through a new perk on my IHG Mastercard. Like everyone, I get what feels like a thousand emails a day. Often I am tempted to simply delete the "new information" emails from my many credit card companies. This reminded me that sometimes it's worth it to open them. As a new benefit, once a month, the IHG card lets you choose a free kindle download from hundreds of choices. Nice. Take some time to look at the "benefits" section of your credit card.
2. I took the first step into looking at a couple of new ways to create passive income--that is to say, income that occurs without going to a 9-5 job, and which, after you put in the initial work, doesn't require a lot of upkeep.
3. I contacted my boss about going to a nursing conference this spring. I can use the Pro-D funds that I am allotted annually to cover the costs for this, which will allow me to get needed continuing ed credits in my field...while visiting SINGAPORE. Win-Win. Do you know what benefits your company gives you? Do you actually use them?
4. I picked up a scarf from the free table this morning. This added to my current haul for the week: 2 shirts, a skirt and a pair of shorts. I have an unspoken rule at my house: with the exception of groceries/toiletries/gifts for others, I try to take something out of the house for everything I bring in. That means I sell items on our employee forum site (not too often) or I add to the free table. Helps keep the clutter down.
5. I've been jogging two times so far this week. I consider this a cheap form of exercise. No costly gym membership. No special gear. Just put on a pair of running shoes and GO! Yesterday, it was quite dreary, dark and misty when I left at 6:30 am. When I came to the jungle-y stretch of road where I sometimes see wild monkeys, I felt like I was in planet of the apes. I came around a corner and they were everywhere...in the road, above me in the trees and climbing the mountain on both sides! There were probably 20 of them, including a little baby swinging from a tree branch with his mama. Even though I was a bit creeped out, I didn't slow down, and the monkeys largely ignored me. Reminders that "we're not in Kansas anymore!"
And finally, I signed up for two freebies. Here's what you can get:
A free power bar.
A coupon for a free organic balance protein shake (answer a 10 question survey).
Happy Friday! Comment and tell us what frugal things you did this week! Share your success with the rest of us so we can be inspired too!